Unfortunate: the untold story of Ursula the sea witch - a review (14/07/2022)

overstudies requested a review of “unfortunate: the untold story of Ursula the sea witch” and for some reason I originally decided to write this as a of tweets, as I'm not usually a reviewer, but for the fact maybe I'd like to do more of that, its now here, on this barely used blog.
This is unedited from my original tweets aside from the addition of the date.

I went on Thursday 14 July 2022 to the giant upside down cow that is udderbelly, which in the had a good range of food and drink


On to the actual show, I’d seen a little of this at west end live but was in love with how fun the set was, and a favourite of mine - a visible band! I went in expecting a slightly naughty and funny evening, and we got that and more! I was actually surprised by how much more

There were wonderfully controlled puppets, actors playing multiple roles, and a range of props that such a small theatre and stage would make you think wasn’t possible! The show itself contains more innuendo and sexual jokes than you can shake a phallic shaped object at
I especially enjoyed some of the jabs at the Disney little mermaid, with the the song parodying kiss the girl being changed to being about getting consent! I’d initially been a little concerned at what direction they were going to take this, but I felt this was the best option
Also I don’t think I could talk about this show without my joy as seeing a plus size woman, who is the “villain” of the original, being portrayed as this woman who has her struggles, and gets her success without having to change her entire being to fit in to a smaller package
So overall if you want a very adult night out full of innuendo, sexual humour, making digs at Disney, and endless laughs, I would recommend unfortunate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choir of man - The boys are back in London

Diet Cokes of London theatre